Day One: A State-Wide Shut Down Journal

I kept up with COVID-19 while it was still in China, back in Dec. It was on the news next to Trump’s impeachment, the killing of Qassem Suleimani, Australia’s wild fires, and mess of other news articles.

I wasn’t too worried about it at that point. The flooding in Venice and then the dry season in Venice caught my attention more. The fires in Australia. All the climate change stuff. I was one of many witnesses to the live impeachment hearings because I felt I should be. This was history. It was all history and I wanted to be present.

I debated whether or not to write this series of journals documenting my experiences, but regardless of whether anyone reads this or cares, I want to. As stated in my last update, we are in unprecedented times and something of this magnitude may not again happen in my life time. Regardless of whether any of this is right or an over reaction, we should remember how this started.

The first official day of the state-wide shut down, I went for supplies. I’d heard that people were hoarding toilet paper and cleaning supplies, but hadn’t seen the shelves yet in person. I’d seen them online in pictures, saw videos, saw the country going crazy. I saw the Italians singing from their balconies to raise each other’s spirits during their country wide lock down and the comparison to what was happening in my own state was insane.

I thought going early in the morning to the store would be for the best. I realized other people would have that same idea, but I could escape most of the rush that I knew would be coming.

What I found were empty shelves and panicked people. I was almost out of soap and was able to grab two of the last four on the shelf. There was no toilet paper. No sanitizing products. Barely any good dish soap (I managed to find two antibacterial dish soaps). We usually buy bottled water because we have well water that doesn’t taste great to drink. Not. A. Single. Case. I grabbed two gallons of water because that was all I was allowed to grab. Signs like the ones above in the picture were posted all over the store for essential items.

I always liked to be prepared, even before all of this. When I get low on something, I buy it so I don’t run out. I was lucky that the timing allowed me to have most of what we needed before the craziness happened.

I was probably the youngest person at the store that morning. Most were elderly who were stocking up, their carts filled to the brim. I hoped that these people had all they needed and that they stayed home after this.

I filled the rest of our day with games and a little learning. Anything to keep my son’s mind off of why I wasn’t at work. Anything to keep my mind off why I wasn’t at work.

I decided to harvest my aloe plant since I accidentally left it outside overnight. My first harvest, just in time to make the much needed moisturizing hand sanitizer. I’ve always washed my hands, but I’ve been washing them more often and quickly ran out of the good stuff. My hands are cracked, dry, and in some places, bleeding. Eczema is no joke.

Most of the day went on as normal. I stayed offline as much as I could, but checking up was inevitable. My local friends were sharing the following post.

Now, I’m aware that the stated hospital isn’t in my county. What it IS is my mother’s place of employment. She’s a nurse there. I’m thinking, “Let mom know. I’m sure she does, but put it out there so she can get info on it and avoid that area like the plague”. No pun intended, but it’s never been more true.

Stay safe, guys.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s